10 Text Message Marketing Tips for Your Local Business
How many of your customers are glued to their mobile devices when they visit your establishment? How many people send and receive text messages on a daily basis? There’s no denying that text message marketing is here to stay. In fact, some studies show that consumers prefer to send and receive text messages over talking.
Over the past few years, the advertising industry has made changes in leaps and bounds. From the conventional methods we were used to, to the new and sophisticated digital techniques used today, there are so many options available to business owners who want to increase profits without boosting their advertising costs.
Text message marketing is a great solution to help them accomplish these goals. It can easily help your company build brand awareness, increase customer loyalty, and drive more sales to your business.
Sending out text messages requires minimal time and money. The best part is that is quite effective especially now that almost everyone has a mobile phone. Not only that, but most people will read their text messages within a few minutes of receiving them, which makes text messages one of the best marketing strategies to ever come along.
As a business owner, you may be wondering how you should go about setting up and managing your text message marketing campaigns in a way that will get results.
Here are 10 tips about running your text message marketing campaign:
1. Don’t Spam Your List With Offers – When using text message marketing, be sure to send helpful, entertaining, and informative messages to your mobile list at times. Although the main reason you are sending text messages to them is to promote your products and/or services, it is crucial that you do not “over promote” as this can be a huge turnoff. Instead, show them that they are a valuable customer and that you care by giving them free information related to your industry in addition to your occasional promotions.
2. Target Your Efforts for Best Response – Some business owners may not see this as an important issue, but it is. Text message marketing is totally different than other methods because you can truly narrow down “who” you want to opt-in to your list – and then create special messages and offers specifically for that group. For instance, you definitely want your current customers to join your mobile list because they already love your product or service. There’s nothing like getting easy, repeat business. Take it a step further by creating separate lists based on separate products or services that you offer.
3. Keep Your Messages Short – Shorter is always better when it comes to marketing messages these days. People have very short attention spans due to their busy daily lives. They don’t take the time to read through long batches of content just to find the main message. So when sending out your text messages, keep them short. Besides, text messaging only allows 160 characters per message. So create your messages within that allotment instead of creating long, drawn out messages that expand into multiple text messages.
4. Make Your Opt-in Offers Extremely Valuable – People today are extremely protective of their mobile numbers, so in order to get subscribers, your offer has to be top-notch and irresistible. Figure out what your target audience craves and create opt-in offers surrounding those ideas. Reward them nicely for signing up to your list.
5. Include a Strong Call-to-Action in Every Message – In order to convert your messages into sales, you must include a strong, solid call-to-action on every single message. Tell your subscribers what you want them to do whether you want them to call you or come into your store.
6. Make it Easy for Them to Opt-Out – There will be some customers who want to opt-out of your mobile list for some reason or another. So make it easy for them. Why? Because the last thing you want is a consumer who is angry at you for not being able to opt-out of your list. Besides, if they don’t want to be there, you really don’t want them there. So make the option to opt-out clearly visible on every message you send out.
7. Use Text Messages to Get Customer Feedback – Running a text message poll every once in a while is a great way to improve your business and the relationship between you and your customers. Polls allow you to get direct feedback from your customers that you can use to enhance your products or services. To keep things interesting, setup a prize drawing for those who participate.
8. Include Links to Digital Media in Your Messages – With more and more people using smartphones, it is a good idea to include links to other digital media to boost customer engagement even more – such as online photos, online videos or social media sites.
9. Encourage Sign-ups Across the Board – One of the most challenging parts of getting a text message marketing campaign rolling is getting people to sign-up to your list. However, many businesses neglect some pretty powerful ways to grab more subscribers. Do you have a call-to-action on your website telling people to join your mobile list? What about your social media profiles? What about your flyers? What about inside of your establishment?
10. Don’t Forget About Branding – Make sure your company name is included in every text message you send out. Not only does this let your subscribers know who is sending the message, but it is also an opportunity to brand your business.
Text message marketing can allow you to reach your local audience with ease and convert them into long-lasting repeat customers. Every business owner knows that it is easier to generate repeat sales from an existing customer than it is to generate brand new customers. However, it can be a little overwhelming if you are not totally familiar and experienced with this new-age form of digital mobile marketing.
Need some assistance setting up and/or managing your text message marketing campaigns?
I specialize in helping local businesses here in the local area connect with local consumers by establishing a strong mobile presence. Contact me at 905.572.5445 for a free, no obligation consultation!